Intermediate African Drumming Classes - St Kilda
African drumming Djembe class
Improve and refine your djembe skills with our intermediate community classes! These fully hands-on classes have an emphasis on having fun and are the perfect way to continue your journey into West African music. Discover your inner rhythm, with expert guidance from the one and only Magic Mike. Don't have a djembe? Not to worry, we have plenty at the shop you can use during your classes. If you'd like to hire a djembe to practise outside of classes, we can loan you one for $20 per week. If you decide to buy the drum you’ve been renting, we’ll deduct the amount you’ve paid in hire fees from the total cost of the drum.
Get ready for an exhilarating learning experience where we explore traditional West African rhythms over six-week cycles, culminating in biannual student performances. Please note, we have a strict limit of 13 students per class as a social distancing precaution. If you miss both the 1st & 2nd week of the cycle, we recommend joining the following cycle.
Please note our safety measures in response to COVID-19
We are following strict government guidelines and updating as they change
○ All of our drums will be wiped down and disinfected before each class
○ We will provide hand sanitiser to our students on entry to the shop
○ Our teachers will practise safe social distancing
○ We have a strict limit of 13 students per class
Here’s how you can help
○ Sanitise your hands upon entry to the shop – we will provide sanitiser
○ Please stay in your station and only use the downstairs bathroom
○ Avoid touching your face
○ Cough and sneeze into your elbow and discard of any tissues immediately
○ Practise safe social distancing at all times
○ Students are encouraged to bring their own djembe if they can
About our teacher: Born in Zimbabwe, Mike began his musical life with the rhythms of Southern Africa, practicing a variety of musical disciplines since 1998. In 2015 his passion drifted westward to discover the djembe, and intensified when he moved to Melbourne and continued his learning under Simon Fraser and Bassidi Koné. He regularly performs with fiery ensemble Dunu Teké and spends his practice time developing his understanding of West African rhythm. He believes that music is inside each of us - it's just a matter of learning how to speak its language.
- Hone your technique, refining and focusing on sound quality
- Develop your groove with challenging timing exercises
- Build your dexterity and stamina in extended arrangements
- 10% student discount storewide
- Access to our social media networks and learning resources
- Deeper involvement in the musical community
- Just bring yourself! You don’t need your own drum, we have plenty.
Casual - wear something in which you can sit comfortably with a djembe between your knees.
Those who have completed at least one Beginner Cycle, or have previous hand drumming experience
African Drumming requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email African Drumming to organise a refund or transfer
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at African Drumming or organised by African Drumming must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by African Drumming.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give African Drumming unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at African Drumming classes and events or on African Drumming's premises. (For use of African Drumming marketing materials).
African Drumming requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.